OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Distorted pilot/co-pilot voices in FDC

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: Distorted pilot/co-pilot voices in FDC
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Every day there seems to be something new to troubleshoot (in general in my FS9 setup - not all with FDC/PF3 of course!!). Actually this is not so new - it's been a week or two, and before that I had the problem very occasionally, so I didn't bother too much about it then: I held off posting about it now until I was sure it wasn't a one-off, but it's starting to happen most flights now, so I'd appreciate some help.

At some point during a flight (not sure yet if it's confined to just certain aircraft, though I don't see how it could be), the sound of the FDC pilot and co-pilot suddenly starts stuttering, breaking up and becoming distorted - what I can only call 'hyper Dalek-like'. The problem comes and goes as I fly on but some phrases are so stuttery they are pretty much missed entirely.

I would put it down to a PC issue, and maybe wouldn't post here (I have so many threads here already, I'm starting to feel bad about posting any more), but the thing is that all the other sounds, FS9 and all ATC communication in PF3 continue quite normally whilst the FDC voices are breaking up. The wav files themselves are OK as far as I can tell, as next time in FS9 the same sound files may show no such playback problem (and the few I have tested are OK in a media player too).

Anyone else encountered this? Any ideas what the problem might be? Thank you.

Martin

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Distorted pilot/co-pilot voices in FDC
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:25 pm
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Well as you say it's not the wav files... they don't suddenly start to decay :lol:

At first hand It sounds (excuse the pun) like a performance issue... maybe CPU or memory? Have you checked via task manager when it occurs?

Primarily PFE/PF3/FDC play sounds via DirectX, so there should be no difference.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:48 pm

That was my first thought, but I didn't see anything special on my desktop gadget, which shows CPU & RAM usage. I do have a current issue with an exe file installed and used by my Saitek X52, which I sometimes find using 100% of my CPU, but I didn't see that last time. But I am not 100% sure so I'll check precisely what's happening next time. With 16Gbs of RAM and the monitor showing never less than 10GBs free, I don't think that is the issue...

Any reason FDC should be affected but nothing else (like PF3 - ATC goes on quite normally)?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:05 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Any reason FDC should be affected but nothing else (like PF3 - ATC goes on quite normally)?
Well no, not at all, but then in such circumstances, if it were something hogging the CPU, it wouldn't necessarily be everything that creaked, just one in the chain, but if it's always FDC then that is indeed suspicious. :?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, I'll keep an eye on it, but so far it's only the two FDC pilots that have the problem, never any other voices/sounds.

Thanks for the fast, as ever, response...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support”
Jump to: