OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Descent mode

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
mllgrennman
Post subject: Descent mode
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 pm

From what I understand FDC does not activate descent mode until below 12000 ft...this does not make sense...how do i slow down from 33000ft to 12000ft if the co pilot will not deploy flaps 1 for me? These birds are slippery... I can do it manually..but then what's the point of the program...:cry:

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Descent mode
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 am
Site Admin

What aircraft are you flying? How about using your speed brakes?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:48 am

If you do a shallow descent, say 1500ft and reduce airspeed to about 270kts and use speedbrakes occasionally you will slow down and make sure you start your descent at about 110nm-120nm from your airport @ FL330...then flaps will be deployed at the correct speed and altitude as per your profile.

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:22 pm

From what I am told, descent mode, (which is required for VCP to deploy Flaps1), can not be triggered above 12000ft

Is it normal procedure to not use flap1 above 12000Ft?

If you use the 3X rule, (altitude x 3 = distance needed to decsend) VCP deployment of Flap1 in FDC would not be available until 36 miles out...by this time I like to be at Flaps 15, and gear should come down at 30 miles out...of course I'm not a RWP, so I may very well be wrong, but this is what I have been told so far...and it works very well in simulation...

From what I understand, spoilers are purposed to cancel lift after touchdown to increase braking...although they can be used to slow a descent, it is for emergencies and not standard procedure...as the pilot then has the burden of then remembering to retract them, and then arming them for landing...it's a lot of work when flaps one would do the same job even better...

May I ask the reason why there is an altitude limit in FDC when descent mode can be activated...should it not be activated simply by descending, regardless of altitude?

Please let me know...thanks again...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support”
Jump to: