OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Using ProFlight 2000 with FS 2000

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Starrfoxx
Post subject: Using ProFlight 2000 with FS 2000
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am

I have PFE and used it for many years with FS9 and FSX. Since it is an emulator, I'm assuming that the full version of ProFlight 2000 is a part of the package. I'm trying to use it with FS 2000 for some fun, retro flying. I can create a flight plan with FS 2000, load it into PF2000 directly (not through PFE), and even compile. The adventure file is created, but FS 2000 will not recognize it. It doesn't matter which ADV folder I put it in - it acts like it isn't there.

My guess is that it has something to do with the compiler. Even if I load up PF2000 directly, whenever I compile an adventure it will bring up the familiar PFE logo to do it. Do I need to replace it with the regular APLC32? I have it, but I'm not sure where I should put it in the installation.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Using ProFlight 2000 with FS 2000
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:01 am
Site Admin

FS2000, now you are really going to test my grey matter! :D

If you have PFE Deluxe then yes, PF2000 was included with it and we were licensed to do so and PFE should work with FS2000 too. Now, if you're trying to create a ProFlight 'adventure' for FS2000 then no, the ADV file will not be recognised by FS2000 as such. The ADV file created by PFE is NOT an FS adventure file it's a PFE Flight File. If you have your own copy of PF2000 then you could change the APLC32.exe file that ships with PFE for the PF2000 version and that should then produce the adventure file for you. But of course PFE will not work with that.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Starrfoxx
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 am

I might make your hair more gray by saying I remember you back when you were submitting files for ProFlight 98. I was checking out the Wayback Machine to find the patch for it (which I found), but I also saw voice packs that people submitted, and I believe you submitted one too. None of those files were available to download anymore. Did they make their way into PFE at all?

Back to the OT, I'm pretty sure I have the Pro version of PFE -- "AS_PRO-FLIGHT-EMULATOR_V214".

What I did was copy the "PF2000" folder over to my "Microsoft Games/FS2000" folder. So anything I mess around with in there shouldn't affect regular PFE, because it's located elsewhere. I found the APLC32.EXE compiler; it's in the ADV folder. My problem is trying to find an old version of APLC32.

I was able to find a zip file off of the Wayback Machine called APLC132. Inside is a setup file, however when I try to run it, it states I am missing the "setup.lid" file and throws an "Error 105". Any of this bring back memories? I could only find one possible solution, but it didn't work. It was to create a text file, rename it to "setup.lid" with the following inside:

[Languages]
key0=0009
Default=0009
count=1

The APLC132 setup does start, but it just doesn't do anything after that. Maybe the file is corrupted? I can't open the "cab" files without getting an error that they are corrupted. I do have a copy of ProFlight 98 coming in the mail, so maybe I can copy the APLC32 from that into ProFlight 2000?

There also appears to be a goodie in there called PF2000VoiceManager. I didn't see instructions, but I'm guessing it works similar to the one in PFE where you can choose which voices you want to use. Something else I'm hoping to do is record my own voice(s) to be used in PFE. I was able to download the scripts for PF98 off of the Wayback Machine, so I'm not sure if they would be the same for PFE. I'm thinking that I could just go into the "PfeFlightZ" folder and use the next number letter sequence up. The last sequences I see in there are "D" and "E" (for example pfvac6D.wav, pfvac6E.wav, pfVD.wav, pfVE.wav). So what I would need to do is record the same thing I hear but label them as "F"? Which ones are the pilot voices, or can they all be used as pilot voices? I know I could just use Multicrew, but I was thinking it would be neat to hear my own recorded voice -- plus some made up ones. :-)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 am
Site Admin

Quote:
I might make your hair more gray by saying I remember you back when you were submitting files for ProFlight 98. I was checking out the Wayback Machine to find the patch for it (which I found), but I also saw voice packs that people submitted, and I believe you submitted one too. None of those files were available to download anymore. Did they make their way into PFE at all?
Yes I recorded a voice set for PF as it was a requirement for beta testers. All the original voice sets were included in PFE (under licence from the original dev team). However, later on we did add a new (extended) voice set (in V2 I believe) so you have a choice of which ones to use. The extended set of course adds more vocabulary.
Quote:
Back to the OT, I'm pretty sure I have the Pro version of PFE -- "AS_PRO-FLIGHT-EMULATOR_V214".
It would have the word 'Deluxe' on the splash screen during installation. Also, if you didn't have the Deluxe version you would require the full version of PF2000 to be installed first
Quote:
The APLC132 setup does start, but it just doesn't do anything after that. Maybe the file is corrupted? I can't open the "cab" files without getting an error that they are corrupted. I do have a copy of ProFlight 98 coming in the mail, so maybe I can copy the APLC32 from that into ProFlight 2000?
I'm not sure nor can I remember if the APLC32 from PF98 will work and you might need one from PF2000

I have to ask the question as to why you are going to all this bother because if you simple use PFE you will basically be using PF2000, albeit with some nice extras, but if you choose to use just the original voice sets it will be the same sound you will here if you just run PF2000 standalone.
Quote:
There also appears to be a goodie in there called PF2000VoiceManager.
As far as I remember that simply changes a voice set letter or adds the next available letter to a newly recorded voice set. I seem to remember using a utility called SimVoice for the recordings... no longer available of course.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Starrfoxx
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:28 pm

I thought you might ask. :-)

I'm working on a world tour, video series featuring FS98 and FS2000 (along with the other ones). The goal is to bring back the fun, retro memories of those two games/simulators, show how things have changed, how they used to be jazzed up with addons, and how they can still be fun today. I've gone as far back as the Commodore 64.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Site Admin

Wow! Be sure to share the video links here please

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Starrfoxx
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 am

I managed to find my original copy of ProFlight 98 (so it looks like I'll have a second one coming now), and I tried copying APLC over to it. When compiling an adventure, I heard something I'd never heard before. "Your flight plan has not been filed. Please contact AETI web services." Well, I found a copy of PF2000 on Ebay and bought it. It'll take a few weeks, since it's overseas. Honestly, I was hoping to use Radar Contact v3 with FS2000, but I guess the author doesn't want to sell that version anymore. It's the only version compatible with the old flight sims, and I was hoping to use something different. I'm already using PFE for my FS9 and XP11 world tour series, and for FSX I'm using VoxATC. Now that I've got my ProFlight 98 pulled out of mothballs, I managed to get it installed and it works great with FS98 just as I remembered.... well.... as long as it is in Windows XP in VMware. :-)

I found my goldmine of FS stuff today. PF98 was the main one I was looking for, but I was also looking for my CD of "Europe 2". I found it, floppy disks for "Europe 1", "Las Vegas" by BAO, "San Francisco" by Mallard, "Washington" by BAO, "Japan, Hawaii, New York, Paris, and Caribbean" by Microsoft -- all for FS5. I also found my copy of "FS Clouds and Textures" which half-works and half gives a run-time error. Sadly, I can't find the discs for Bao's "Flight Shop", Abacus' "Pilot Shop", and "Flight Director 98". I have the boxes, but the CD's are probably mixed up somewhere else.

As far as the videos, they've already been started. I have a few on the different simulators up to FSX and XP11, but here are the ones of interest:

SubLogic Flight Simulator II (Commodore 64) -- The very first flight simulator I ever flew
https://youtu.be/O-E5nB1bLqI

Flight Simulator 2004 using PFE
https://youtu.be/OiQwuvYI0mw

X-Plane 11 using PFE and World Traffic 3 (In the second flight, I add X-ATC-Chatter)
https://youtu.be/mkycqjZ5BHs

I've got some more goodies coming in the mail for FS5 and FS98. Next Saturday will feature the first flight using ProFlight 98 on the FS98 World Tour series.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Starrfoxx
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 am

Oh, and I had success with my first attempt at adding my voice into PFE. It was one heck of a chore just to get the correct audio bit rate, conversion, etc. to match. It was a garbled, fingernails on a chalkboard mess until I got it right. I haven't been able to add my voice as an "additional" voice, but rather I was able to "replace" someone else's voice. I've only done a few numbers to see if it worked. Now that it has, I'm going to try working on the recordings as a side project a little each day. I'll do the same for PF98, because there's plenty of room for some more voices.

As I was digging through the WAV folders in PFE, there are several that are empty. It looks as though many more voices could be added. I'm not sure how you would add the new voice in the drop down of the options, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:31 am
Site Admin

Great videos!

My first FS was on the C64 too. That was soooooooo hard to fly though with the slow response. I think the C64 external HD was even slower than the tape machine which really went into overdrive when there was a scenery update in-flight. Happy days. Really makes you appreciate what we have now but I'm pleased I lived through it.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Starrfoxx
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:11 am

Yep, I definitely appreciate it too. Had a heck of a time trying to get lined up with the runway, and it was hard to see anything once you were on the ground. The only way I could navigate on the ground was with the map.

As far as navigation, you absolutely had to use your NAV radios. There was no GPS. I had more fun trying to figure out where I was by using two VORs to cross reference my actual location. I've had to do it a couple of times in my videos, so far. That's what inspired me to go back and relive these old classics. I flew coast to coast on the Commodore 64 (unfortunately, I think disks 8, 10, and 12 were never made because I can't find them anywhere). Flight Simulator 5.1 was the first one that I bought detailed scenery disks for, namely Europe 1, Europe 2, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Washington, and the 5 scenery expansions from Microsoft so I traveled across the world with that. (Although I did buy the C64 and Amiga scenery disks, they were nothing like FS5.1.) Flight Simulator 98 was the one I got ProFlight 98 with, and the ATC just made the simulator 5x better. Couldn't fly without it, because it was that good! So naturally, I flew around the world with it. I barely touched 2000, because I started my family around that time and consequently skipped 2002. I didn't really get back into FS until 2004, because it was simply amazing at that point. It was everything I wanted in a flight sim since growing up, and of course PFE was truly amazing. I think I nearly flew around the world with it. I waited to get FSX, but eventually got it when I had a computer that could handle it. It wasn't until a month ago that I bought X-Plane 11, which has me excited like a kid all over again. Although I did upgrade my FSX with the Orbx base, vector, and landclass which has breathed a whole new life into it. So even though those two are my main simulators, I haven't traveled across the world with them. Now I'm going to in conjunction with the classic ones (as much as I can depending on the limited coverage of the C64 and Amiga). I'm excited for XP11, because I use the Orthophotos, and I'll get to see what it really looks like to fly over these areas. Now once I can get this set up in VR.... oh wow.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: