OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Run-time error 5?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
rhodges
Post subject: Run-time error 5?
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

History: PF2000/PFE has been working fine for many flights. I did recently learn that I needed to disable my ESET Smart Security for the beginning of the flight to have voice recognition implementing Gamecommander2. Keyboard commands had no problems. As soon as everything is setup and voice recognition is achieved, ESET may be reenabled with no problems thereafter.

Intentions:

Virtually in FSX To make a flight from KMYR to KBTR where I will pick up family, then on to KMIA for the NCAA Championship, then back to KBTR after the game, and end back home at KMYR for the final of four flights. Aircraft will be the Eaglesoft Citation X. Weather: ASE. Flightplan originated with FlightSim Commander. ATC: PF2000/PFE.

1. Originatel and setup a flight from KMYR to KBTR.
2. Originated and setup a flight from KBTR to KMIA.
3. Originated and setup a flight from KMIA to KBTR

Note that all of these setups went flawlessly including the final stages of PF2000. I have already completed the first leg, KMYR to KBTR. No problems as has been the case for a number of preceediing flights to other destinations and PFE communicated fine.

Then I began to setup my final leg from KBTR to KMYR.

a. Setup in FSC had no problem, and the flight is stored and looks normal in the Flight Simulator X Files folder
b. Activated PFE and converted the fightplan. Everything looked normal and the resulting window tells me the "FS9 Flight Plan successfully converted to PF2000 Format."
C. Clicked on the "Click here to start ProFlight 2000" Icon for the final steps of the setup.

This is where I am now having a problem. I get a PF2000 Error window which states: "Run-time error 5: Invalid procedure or argument."

This same thing now happens if I try to reconvert and then bring up PF2000 with any of the previous successful flights that I still have in my directory as well. Any time I try to startup PF2000 regardless of anything else, I get this error now.

Thinking my setup for this last flight (KMYR to KBTR) might have been my mistake, I delted that Flight. Same thing. I tried temporarilly removing all of the Pilot and PF2000 flights in the applicable directories, and get the same thing.

I also found no error entries in the windows event viewer logs at the times I tried activating PF2000 which surprised me.

Any ideas before I reinstall PF2000/PFE? Could there be a corrupt file somewhere else causing the problem. I found no such files under AppData or similar locations.

Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Run-time error 5?
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 am
Site Admin

There's obviously something in the flight plan pf2000 can't handle. Try creating the plan in fs as process of elimination.

Sent from my Dumbphone

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

1. Created an IFR flight plan from KJFK to KORD useing the FSX Flight Planner.
2. Successfully converted the flight plan in PFE
3. Cannot bring up PF2000, get the original error.
4. Backed Up all contentent in the folders of Documentation\Flight Simulator Files, Documentation\Flight Simulator X Files, PFE\FS2000\Pilots, and PFE\FS2000\PF2000\FlightPlans
5. Removed all flight p;lans in the above folders after backing them up.
6. Restarted the computer
7. Recreated an IFR flight plan from KJFK to KORD useing the FSX Flight Planner
8. Converted the Flight Plan with no problem with PFE.
9. Still cannot bring up PF2000 and get the original error.
10. Moved all of the backup content back into the folders in question.

Note that No matter what I try, I cannot bring up PF2000. This is not just in the process of trying to now create a new flight plan. I cannot bring PF2000 up from scratch to look at existing plans. Yet, I can make a flight and all PFE/PF2000 communication works fine in existing plans which are listed in my PF2000\FlightPlans Folder.

To Be Continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm
Site Admin

An i right in thinking you have pf2000 on cd? If you do, take a copy of you're Pf2000 cfg file. Reinstall just pf2000, but before running it copy back the saved version of your pf2000 cfg file.

Hopefully that should fix whatever the problem is.

Sent from my Dumbphone

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm

"Sorry, but impatience got to me before I saw your last reply Dave.

I chose to uninstall and reinstall both PfE and PF2000 along with the expansion packs and start over.

Everything looks normal now and seems to be working ok.

You are correct that I have the original old PF2000 CD. I also have Version 1.0 of PFE (Upgraded as per your previous instructions).

One odd thing in the process of reinstalling VoicePack_V100.exe. In the process I got the following error: "CRC Error. The file C:\PFE\FS2000\ADV\WAV\ProFlighjtW\pfac37L.wav doesn't match the file in the setup.cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted. Contact your software vendor."

I chose to click "ignore" in the options and the installation continued and installed successfully. So far I don't see a glitch. If this is only a word or two that I am missing somewhere, I will live with it until it shows up.

One mistake I made in the PF2000 setup. I failed to check one of the voice groups, Hindu if I remember correctly. After installing all the expansion packs and starting up PFE, it told me that I had to have "ALL" original voices to get the expansion packs to work. I started over again, uninstalling and reinstalling and everything including all the expansion pack provisions seem to be available now. If you think it would be worth doing, I will make a separate post of my mistake in an effort to deter anyone else from duplicating it.

I have no idea what the problem was, but reinstalling seems to have been a solution. Thank you for your help.

Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
kihew
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:41 am

I was having this same problem. I had been experimenting with settings in the PF2000 flight selection and compile window because I have a flight I am unable to compile. After closing the program I couldn't get it to start again because of this error.

Then I remembered I had changed the altitude setting to a ridiculous value to see if the compile button worked. So I opened the PF2000 settings file, searched the altitude line and edited it to a possible number (33000). After saving, PF2000 worked this time. So, nonsense settings inside PF2000 render it unusable.

The flight can't still be compiled, though. Don't know why.

Profile Quote
gchenman
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Dear Dave,
Both FDC and PFE have been running with no problems for almost 8 years now on my good old XP SP3 computer.
Since this morning, both FDC and PFE aren't working anymore.
When trying to compile the FS2004 flight plan in ProFlight2000, at second step in process (Adventure File Name), I received the error message "run time error 5 invalid procedure call or argument" and the program stops.

I have completely removed the application and run a fresh install (including voices packages) after clearing the register, repairing the VB version 2015 and restarting the PC.

The upgrade from version 2.14 to 2.15 worked ok.
But, when trying a FP compilation again, I had the same error message at the same stage of the process
PFE however seems to be working fine.

I have also started my FDC to verify if OK but immediately got the same error message mentioning the program name CPC and the application failed.

As I didn't make any changes to any of these applications and as they were still working fine last night, I presume that the issue is due to a corrupted program routine.
Would these issues descriptions ring a bell? Are you using VB for programming your products?
How can I install a fresh and compatible version of the programming package?

I am desperate as I am now retired and really enjoy flying FS9 daily.

Thanks for your attention and help,
George C. Henman.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 pm
Site Admin

Very strange... I guess you must have installed or removed something from your PC yesterday that couldn't complete until you rebooted, or in your case shut down then restarted this morning. That 'something' could have removed a shared file perhaps.

I think I'd be tempted to try a System Restore

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gchenman
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm

HI Dave,

No self correction I am afraid, and, before "tempting" a restoration of the system, I would like to try some "softer manipulations”.

Strange enough, after a fresh install of FDC from CD, the 3.14 cumulative program enabled FDC to properly start.
Unfortunately, the next time I tried to call FDC, it failed with the same error message. Would this help?

It is true that the same day (20/02), before closing my session, I installed a little program enabling to choose the "details1.bmp" texture: truegrass_v1.3 provided on AVSIM by www.stagesoft.org – people not reachable anymore on the Internet, I tried before calling you.

As soon as the FDC/PFE problem was discovered, I removed this little application by using the provided Uninstall program, thinking that this would solve the issue. Nada.
On their warning read.me file, they mentioned that .NET Framework 2.0 was required and I verified this. I already had it on by PC (also checked on my last backup). In case they would have changed any of .NET 2 elements, I made a new install of this Windows package... in vain (after stop and start of the PC).

Being an emeritus programmer of Aerosoft and, I guess, a very busy man, I don't ask you to give me the solution but, at least, provide me with "technical" feelings concerning this error taking the following facts into consideration:

- If due to a native PFE/FDC failure, full re-installation should have fixed the problem.
- All other related software’s that I use - FS9.1, HIFI/ASE, PFPX, TOPCAT, FSPS tools, all airplanes loading programs, etc - all are working ok.
- Repair of VB C+++ 2015
- Reinstall of .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0
- Scanned all my PC and could not find any CPC dll or program (returned by FDC when failing)

I am surprised that only those 2 products have problem. I though that all PC developers were using the same kind of programming language.

I have attached the following docs for your guidance:
- stagesoft read.me file
- stagesoft Uninstall dat file
- PFE error print screen
- FDC error print screen

Any clues ?

Regards,
George C Henman.

Attachments
[ attachment ]
FDCerror.JPG (149.97 KiB) Viewed 5885 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 am
Site Admin

gchenman wrote: *  Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm
HI Dave,

No self correction I am afraid, and, before "tempting" a restoration of the system, I would like to try some "softer manipulations”.
Well a system restore is quite a 'soft manipulation', especially given the facts. You said both FDC/PFE have been running without any problems for the past 8 years and then suddenly one morning you have a problem... a system restore would most definitely be my first port of call and I don't really understand your reluctance to do so.
Strange enough, after a fresh install of FDC from CD, the 3.14 cumulative program enabled FDC to properly start.
Unfortunately, the next time I tried to call FDC, it failed with the same error message. Would this help?
What version of FDC do you have on CD?
It is true that the same day (20/02), before closing my session, I installed a little program enabling to choose the "details1.bmp" texture: truegrass_v1.3 provided on AVSIM by www.stagesoft.org – people not reachable anymore on the Internet, I tried before calling you.

As soon as the FDC/PFE problem was discovered, I removed this little application by using the provided Uninstall program, thinking that this would solve the issue. Nada.
On their warning read.me file, they mentioned that .NET Framework 2.0 was required and I verified this. I already had it on by PC (also checked on my last backup). In case they would have changed any of .NET 2 elements, I made a new install of this Windows package... in vain (after stop and start of the PC).
It's possible their installer updated a shared runtime with a newer version that just happens to be incompatible with PFE\FDC and trying a reinstall doesn't help because the install script is set not to overwrite newer versions
Being an emeritus programmer of Aerosoft and, I guess, a very busy man, I don't ask you to give me the solution but, at least, provide me with "technical" feelings concerning this error taking the following facts into consideration:
I've never been an Aerosoft programmer, they simply published FDC/PFE.
I'm more than happy to work with you to try and find a solution but my 'technical feelings' remain the same and you should go for a system restore and since, as you say, you have only installed that one program prior to the problems it will, I'm sure, address the issue.

You could also follow the instructions in the following post

Can I use FDC with P3D

Disregard the fact is it for P3D
I though that all PC developers were using the same kind of programming language.
If only :)

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: