OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Cannot Get XPack Expansion to Work

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
signmanbob
Post subject: Cannot Get XPack Expansion to Work
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:20 pm

I installed the latest PFE.exe from my Aerosoft account. It is version 2.6.0 with last Autoupdate checked 31/10/09, but I cannot get the XPack to show up in the Options#1. My "Voice Set Selection" area is grayed out as if I never installed the XPack.
I installed the XPack according to the instructions, moving the designated files to the "Update" folder and running the installer from there.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times with no results.
Could you please help me?

I have installed the 64 fix as shown in the forum. I have also tried the remedy for problems that some were having when installing from Simmarket (How to rectify a suspected bad installation), which mine is from Aerosoft and not from Simmarket.

Thank you,
Bob

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with an i7 3.33Ghz processor, 12 Gigs of RAM.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Cannot Get XPack Expansion to Work
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:26 am
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

A couple of things to mention here...

1. The latest and only supported version of PFE is 2.11.1 so if you're still running version 2.6 and Auto Updates is not finding any updates then please check the manual installation instructions post near the top of this forum.

2. By your description it sounds like you are having problems installing the FREE Voice Set Pack Enhancement Pack rather than the Voice Set Expansion Pack which can be purchased from Aerosoft. I have to assume you already have the later installed because the former will not install unless you do.

3. You need PFE version 2.8 to use the Voice Set Enhancement Pack so please refer to #1 above

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
signmanbob
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Dave, I have updated, but am still having problems. I'm sure it is just something that I'm doing wrong, but I appreciate your help.
I have sent you an email.

Thank you,
Bob

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:44 pm
Site Admin

Replied ;-)

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
signmanbob
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Praise the Lord! It's installing!! :D Thank you so much for your patience and great support.
I had read that post before and tried it, but I guess I didn't have the correct and updated basepack installed, so it didn't work.
What's bad is that I went to the Aerosoft website and redownloaded my purchase, assuming that it would then be the most recent updated version, but it was an old version.
I believe Aerosoft should be sure that the download available in the customer account should always be the most recent.
At any rate Dave, it's working now again and I'm pleased.
I noticed that my (old) voices are not working now, but I'm happy the new voice pack is working. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best ATC program available and I have all of them.

Thank you,

Bob

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:36 pm
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

Well in their (Aerosoft's) defence the download is the complete installation and it is quite time consuming tp update and test it each time I release a new update, which until recently was almost monthly. The whole idea of the Auto Updates feature is so that I can release updates as often as I like without the need to recompile a complete installation pack everytime.

With regard your old voice sets not working please check the Options #1 page as you can select New Voices only, Old Voices only or bothe Old and New.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
signmanbob
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 am

dmarch wrote:
Hi Bob,

Well in their (Aerosoft's) defence the download is the complete installation and it is quite time consuming tp update and test it each time I release a new update, which until recently was almost monthly. The whole idea of the Auto Updates feature is so that I can release updates as often as I like without the need to recompile a complete installation pack everytime.

With regard your old voice sets not working please check the Options #1 page as you can select New Voices only, Old Voices only or bothe Old and New.
I guess they (Old) may be working. When I select "Original Voice Sets Only", then I can hear the sample "Old" voices in the "Default Pilot voice & call sign", but when I select "Original & XPack Together", I only hear the (New) samples and the (Old) ones are silent. That's why I was thinking that they may not be working.

I understand that it wouldn't be practical to update Aerosoft's tp sight with every upgrade, but I would think that when the version that they offer can't be upgraded through the self-updating" feature any more, then that version is obsolete and should be replaced.
It is very confusing for a customer to go to his account and re-download, what he thinks will be the latest version, and just get an obsolete version that can't even be updated.
Mind you, I'm not complaining because your product support is so good that it doesn't take long to get straightened out, but before contacting you, I felt I was lost in a endless quagmire of confusing processes that made it so I couldn't even remember which I did last and what I hadn't tried yet.
The fact that your software is a work-in-progress and you update it so much is a real good thing, but I hope that in the future Aerosoft will keep up with your more radical updates and not offer software that is completely out of date and not even updatable or supported. It is just meant as a suggestion from a customer perspective.

Like I said, I feel that PFE is the best ATC software available because it user friendly, works well and sounds very realistic.
I have all of the others that are popular out there, and PFE is way better.
Keep up the good work and hopefully Aerosoft will keep up with you :D

Thank you,
Bob

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 am
Site Admin

I hear what you're saying Bob and will fire off an email to Aerosoft... once I've spent at least a day putting all the changes together and documenting it so they know what they're doing ;-)

Thanks for the kind comments too... much appreciated

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
signmanbob
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 am

Dave, I did a complete flight last night and PFE performed beautifully. PFE sounds so realistic and the voices are so natural that it makes flying in FS a real pleasure. I actually get a little nervous with it because it feels like I am dealing with real people and real ATC. Thank you so much for all your help. I'm a real fan of this software.
Now I'll get FDC installed and have some more fun. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 am
Site Admin

Well it's nice to know we have at least one happy customer ;-)

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: