OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Vectoring into Heathrow 27L/R, minimum FAF

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
tnoller
Post subject: Vectoring into Heathrow 27L/R, minimum FAF
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:22 pm

I've been trying a northern approach into Heathrow's westerly runways numerous times now having PFE vector me down and the problem is, that ATC is always bringing me to close to the airport for the final right turn. The tolerance for catching the G/S is then extremely narrow, often making me overshoot it, especially with all the other stuff you have to deal with at this point (V/S, heading, ATC, flaps, checklists) at rather low framerates due to the density of the area.

When I watch videos on YT on the Bovingdon approach from the north, most jets start their final right turn to line up with 27 way to the east, some even as far east as the Millenium dome. They then fly along the entire city on the Southern side of the river smoothly lining up with the runway. In my case, I am asked to turn for final at a much more westerly point which shortens the final approach leg considerably.

I've tried with FAF at 2500 (which is according to the charts) and 3000, but in both cases I had the above problems, that the turn is asked for too early. How can I make ATC give me a bit more leeway to the east?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Vectoring into Heathrow 27L/R, minimum FAF
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:26 pm
Site Admin

You can increase the FAF distance (Check the INI file tweaks section of the User guide)

It would also be useful if you could upload your log files from the PFE\Logs folder when reporting a problem so we see exactly what is going on and if you indeed have a problem.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Are you using PFE? If you are using PFE, run PF2000, select "Settings" and increase the FAF distance (bottom of page) to something like 10 or 11 nm. Exit and re-start PF2000 and then you will need to re-compile your flight plan. If you are using PF3, select a greater FAF distance on the Options #2 > Advanced Options screen, as Dave suggested.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tnoller
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks, guys. I am using PFE/PF2000. Will adjust and try later today and eventually report back.

Great product, btw. Among my top 5 FS add ons. I just wish – as was stated elsewhere here – there was a more attractive upgrade package to PF3 for long-time customers....

Profile Quote
tnoller
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:39 am

Just a quick update: changed final distance to 11 nm in PF2000 with an FAF of 2500 and this brought me in a little too low too early but it was a fantastic approach nonetheless, virtually identical to the real thing. 10 nm at 3000 should be spot on then. Thanks for the quick help.

One last question: can I change the approach speeds that ATC is giving me? 140 kts 10 miles out seems a bit too slow for a 767...

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:14 pm

tnoller wrote:
One last question: can I change the approach speeds that ATC is giving me? 140 kts 10 miles out seems a bit too slow for a 767...
Yes, you will need to edit the PF_Emulator.ini file which is located in your PFE folder. See page 74 of the PFE manual for more information. Experiment and see what settings work best for you. By the way, changing things like FAF distance and final approach speeds is quite a bit easier in PF3! :)

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
tnoller
Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Dan77 wrote:
tnoller wrote:
Yes, you will need to edit the PF_Emulator.ini file which is located in your PFE folder. See page 74 of the PFE manual for more information. Experiment and see what settings work best for you. By the way, changing things like FAF distance and final approach speeds is quite a bit easier in PF3! :)
:lol: yeah, I bet..

that offer wasn't quite as intruiging as I hoped, though. Going to stick with the good old PF3 for now ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: