OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Flight Plan Format Problems

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
rhodges
Post subject: Flight Plan Format Problems
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Previously, I have used dual video cards on my primary computer implementing three monitors, one which was dedicated to FlightSim Commander which I use to originate flight plans, then convert them with the PFE Emulator. Recently due to a video card failure, I lost the use of one monitor. I have also used a secondary computer with another dedicated monitor for other applications for years which gave me four monitors until the card failure.

As a solution, I chose to install FlightSim Commander on the secondary computer implementing FSUIPC and WideFS/WideClient and have the third and fourth monitors on the secondary computer. Obviously I had to jump through a few hoops in setup to get everything working, particularly mapping my drives. Everything went find for months until recently and I now have the following problem.

I save my flight plans originated in FSC on the secondary computer to my "Flight Simulator Files" or "Flight Simulator X Files in My Documents on the primary computer with no problem. However, when I try to convert them with PFE/FS2000 I am getting a Proflight Emulator error window that tells me, "No change necessary for this Flight Plan or Format Unknown!"

I am puzzled as this was working fine until recently.

I saw that there is an upgrade, so upgraded to version 9.6 Rev.5

For good measure, I installed FSC back on my primary computer, There is no problem at all. The Flight Plans are originated exactly the same on either computer, and are saved in the Flight Simulator Files or Flight Simulator X Files and appear to be exactly the same, but apparently something is being changed in their format.

Note: I have made this same post on the FSC forum.

Any Ideas?

RTH

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Flight Plan Format Problems
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Maybe related to permissions?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:30 pm

ThomasAH wrote:
Maybe related to permissions?
Could be, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone into advanced and edited each relative folder granting permission to "everyone" and still cannot compile the flight plans originated on my secondary computer in PFE. What additionally confuses me is that previously it worked and I have not knowingly changed anything. All are shared.

Again, I can access all files and folders from either computer, and when saved from the secondary to the primary the flight plan is transferred where it should be. There is just something in the format PFE doesn't like.

That being said, the following is a work around with FSC installed on both computers.

1. Originate the flight plan in FSC on the secondary computer and save it.
2. Originate exactly the same flight plan in FSC on the primary computer and save it. (If the plan from the secondary computer was saved to Flight Simulator Files or Flight Simulator X files in M Documentsu, this save from FSC on the primary computer will overwrite it with a good working file with no format problems.)
3. Compile the flight plan in PFE.
4. Have a good flight with everything working, including PFE communication.

"GPS" can then be activated on the FSC in the secondary computer and the flight can be tracked normally. The only reason for implementation of FSC on the primary computer is to be able to get PFE to compile the flight plan. FSC on the primary can then be shut down if so desired. In any case this frees up my fourth monitor for unique FSC use.

This is a bit of a nuisance, but it really only takes about a min. to originate a flight plan in FSC unless it is a complex one. Duplicating the plan on a second computer adds a min.

Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm
Site Admin

RTH,

"No change necessary for this Flight Plan or Format Unknown!" is not actually an error message. Does the PFE flight plan get created in the target folder?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:53 pm

dmarch wrote:
RTH,

"No change necessary for this Flight Plan or Format Unknown!" is not actually an error message. Does the PFE flight plan get created in the target folder?
Thanks for the reply:

Yes, the flight plan shows up in "Pilots" and in ProFlight2000. However, under "SelectFLT" when the flight plan is selected, "Compile" is never highlighted and nothing happens if it is clicked.

RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:40 pm
Site Admin

rhodges wrote:
dmarch wrote:
RTH,

Thanks for the reply:

Yes, the flight plan shows up in "Pilots" and in ProFlight2000. However, under "SelectFLT" when the flight plan is selected, "Compile" is never highlighted and nothing happens if it is clicked.

RTH
Have you checked the FAQ page regarding greyed out Compile button?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm

"Have you checked the FAQ page regarding greyed out Compile button?[/quote

Negative. I have tried changing settings to no avail.

Have to go to work now, but will give your suggestion a try tomorrow.

Thanks for y our help.
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Quick try before going to work. I will continue this tomorrow morning:

I searched the FAQ page for "grayed out Compile button".

Found one post as follows:

"Q: The ProFlight 2000 Compile button is greyed out so I can't compile an ADV Flight File

A: There are a couple of reasons why this may occur. Firstly, if the flight plan you are attempting to load is not in the correct format. Remember ProFlight requires FS2000 format flight plans so FS9 and/or FSX flight plans require converting, which you can do from within PFE. Secondly you need to select the Use Real Weather option in the ProFlight Settings page... turning that option off makes the Compile button inactive so please ensure it is on.

Again, when I try to convert a plan originated from my secondary computer, the result is "No change necessary for this flight plan......" which I realize may not be an error message, but it also says "........or Format Unknown!" which seems to agree with the reply to the FAQ post.

I do have "use real weather" turned on.

I am originating the exact same plan from both computers and see no apparent difference. I am also trying to compile either in PFE/PF2000 without making any changes at all in the PFE/PF2000 settings. However, apparently FS2000 is seeing something different in the formatting.

For good measure I have tried several settings in FS2000. They all work when the plan is converted from the primary computer. None work from the secondary. They worked in the past and I have no idea what had changed.

To Be Continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Maybe you want to try if the PF3 demo shows the same problem? It can be installed next to PFE without problems.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:05 pm

ThomasAH wrote:
Maybe you want to try if the PF3 demo shows the same problem? It can be installed next to PFE without problems.
I have not addressed the learning curve to use the demo yet. I just tried to see if the flight plans would connect. I purchased PF2000, then PFE just about the time they both became available and have been a fan ever since. Obviously, there are a number of differences as well as improvements. One quick unknown to me was where to find the table for frequencies. In the old original version they were easily located in PFE>FS2000>PF2000>Flightplans>PF2000 - XXXX to YYYY.freq. In the new PF3 tree, I have not found the freq's yet, however I have them from the old version for the flight plan I tried (KMYR - HYW - KCAE).

I am seeing the same thing, or at least a similar thing with the demo that I did with my old PFE/PF2000 installation. If I originate a flight plan in FSC on my primary computer and save it in my My Documents > Flight Simulator X Files, then select that plan in PF3, and connect, the connection is made. I am totally new to the Deluxe version of PFE so did not go any farther, but assume that with a bit of learning on my part everything is proper at this point. A quick try resulted in no communication, but I am sure that problem was me, not PFE.

If I originate the exact same flight plan in FSC on my secondary computer and save it in My Documents > Flight Simulator X Files on the primary computer, everything looks the same up to this point. However, when I select this plan in PF3 and try to connect, I get the following PF3 - ATC at its best error window with a red X:

"There was a problem whilst processing this flight plan! Please report this issue on the PF3 support forum at www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums. Thank you for your assistance and we apologize for any inconvenience! FPP Error!"

I guess I could install PFE on my secondary computer as well, but then I would be limited to Monitor sound rather than the good sound system on my primary computer which negates this route to me personally. As previously mentioned, it is no big thing to simply originate flight plans in FSC on both computers, convert from the primary, track on the secondary, but I am puzzled.

RTH

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: