OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

TGS problem!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: TGS problem!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm

When this works it is really useful but it seems to be ultra-fragile! I had a real session with panel.cfg files yesterday and succeeded in getting some a/c, which weren't displaying the TGS green arrow, to do so. I made sure that the ID was set to 5000 and so on - according to the information Dave L has posted.. and in the a/c I tried, the green arrow lit up and worked fine. (I use a separate window for the TGS gauge in the panel.cfg, rather than add a line to [Window 00].

Today I came back to FS9 and now, not having touched the P/C in the interim, the gauge is dead again!! The gauge is there, and I get a message 'Taxi Monitor is active', but no green arrow comes up (the audio prompts are OK too).

Anyone able to help? I can't imagine what is wrong, especially after initial success. Any tips that might bring the green arrows back? (None of the planes I have flown today has a TGS which comes to life)... I re-read the relevant part of the pdf manual and read some posts here (I am not alone with this issue!), but I can't see anything wrong. (if there were a problem, why was it all OK yesterday?).

[Window Titles]...
Window14=TGS

[Window14]
size_mm=150, 130
background_color=0,0,0
ident=5000
visible=1
window_pos=0.00000,0.4850
window_size_ratio=1.000

gauge00=TGS!TaxiGuidanceSystem, 040,068,78,66,Autohide OFF

In the PFE window, Option#1 I have 'Use Heading Bug' (but what exactly is that?) unchecked, the other 3 boxes, use TGS, audio and visual guidance are checked. Checking the heading bug box doesn't help anyway.

Thanks,

Martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Post subject: Re: TGS problem!
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm

OK... an update.... I just loaded my PMDG 737 and got the green arrow at taxi clearance. Back in my PSS a320, it's dead. So I tried changing the ident value in the PSS panel.cfg to 5001 and then loaded the plane and PFE again - and the green arrow is now working. Not sure if loading the plane after the PMDG helped (why would it though??) or changing the ident value. Do all aircraft need a unique value here, rather than using the same one for every plane?? Don't remember reading that anywhere, but why is the gauge suddenly lighting up? I have changed the ident value to a unique number in some other a/c and their TGS gauge now light up as well....

In all other respects, the window I added to all the panel.cfg files is identical.. apart form the changed ident values. Is that a red herring/coincidence though? I don't recall reading that ident values have to be unique in different cfg files, only within a single panel.cfg...(?)

I see the ident values given in the PFE2000 pdf file are sometimes 'ident=Main_Panel' and sometimes a number (not always 5000) Where do the various ident values/numbers come from? Some of the examples in the pdf file use the same ident number for different a/c, so clearly a unique value is not being assumed.

I am fairly sure that tomorrow, the gauges will be dead again; that seems to be the way it goes! I'll keep you posted anyway!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:27 am

Ok, sure enough.. the TGS gauge does not light up today, although it was working in the same a/c yesterday.

What I have found is this: if I load up the one plane in which the TGS gauge seems to work every time, my PMDG 737NGs, and then change the aircraft via the menu bar to something else, say a PSS Airbus, the TGS is working, with the green arrow. I have just tried this with several a/c - none had the green arrow until I loaded the working PMDG 737, after which the TGS gauge is active, at least in all of those I have tried.

Does this give any clues?

Do I need to change my ident= settings? How do I know what value to put for any individual plane (I have so many!).

M.

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 am

Sorry for so many posts - I would just edit what I had written, but in these forums the edit option only lasts a few minutes (why so short?)..

I think the ident number is a red herring after all. Some a/c simply need to be reloaded when FS9 starts in order for the gauge to work (I don't have a problem with the gauge itself not being visible). So this whole thread is a bit pointless, as there was mention of this in the pdf manual, I know!

Anyone know a 'fix', even so (the manual was written some time ago I guess)? It would be good not to have to reload the plane every time, if possible.

Thanks,

martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 am

OK, definitely my last addition before a reply!! (In fact, no reply is probably necessary)... :)

With some aircraft you simply have to load a flight with a different plane from the one you are flying (the default c172 for instance) and then change to the desired a/c when FS9 has loaded. This doesn't seem necessary with PMDG 737s, but certainly is with PSS planes.

I must say that on my old PC I didn't need to do this - the TGS gauge worked fine when I loaded up my PSS etc. aircraft directly, but that doesn't work on my new FS PC for some reason.

For years I have loaded my flights from over 2000 saved .flt flight files: I am going to have to change my habits, I suppose! Old ones die hard though...

M

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am
Site Admin

Thought I'd nip in here quickly whilst you take breath ;)

The TGS gauge has always been a thorn in my side. I didn't write it, I wouldn't know how to and I don't have the source code even if I did. I've only kept the gauge for those, like yourself, who do persevere and want to keep it.... personally I would drop it like a hot coal :o and that is why I wrote the standalone TGS display. Obviously that's no goo for you without a second monitor or PC.

If anyone reading this knows of someone who can write a gauge please ask them to send me an email and we may be able to work on something new that works all the time.

Oh yeah, you question on the heading bug. It basically acts as a pointer to the next taxi waypoint, much the same as the green arrow on your gauge, but the heading bug works everytime ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks Dave... Well the gauge works now so long as I select the a/c I want to fly after FS9 has loaded, as I say, so it could be worse.

I do have a second monitor and a second PC, so maybe I should be looking at the stand alone version!!

Martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am

Re stand-alone gauge, I see from previous posts I once had it installed and working - having been abroad and absent from FS for over two years, I might (perhaps) be forgiven for having forgotten this!

As the cockpit gauge works some of the time (not lighting up currently in my CLS a340s though) I don't want to uninstall it. Can I have the cockpit gauge AND the stand-alone gauge (on a second monitor), or is it one or the other?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:35 am
Site Admin

You should be able to run both together... it certainly won't do any damage to anything ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes, I have both working at the moment!! Excellent. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: