OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Still stupid after all these years

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
sidneyschwartz
Post subject: Still stupid after all these years
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:59 am

Despite having used PFE for years now (FS9), I still don't seem to understand some of the nuances of how STARs work. When setting up SIDS and STARS I use the SIDS/STARS screen to enter runways and names of the procedures, and also the FP Adjustment screen to indicate the end of a SID and the beginning of a STAR. In the flight plan my first waypoint is the end of the SID, and I include the first waypoint of the STAR and then no further waypoints between that and the airport. The SIDS always seem to work fine. With the STARS, though, I never seem to get my "cleared to final via STAR" until way after the first waypoint in the STAR, usually when I'm fairly close to the airport. Is it possible to get clearance to fly the STAR when on reaching the first waypoint of the STAR? How?

Profile Quote
pschlute
Post subject: Re: Still stupid after all these years
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:53 am

Sidney

In PFE "cleared to fly your STAR" and "cleared to finals" are two seperate things.

If you tick the STARS box on the SIDS/STARS page you will be cleared to finals FROM the last waypoint in your plan. The last waypoint should be about 30nm from the airport. But if you select "start of STAR" in the FP adjustments page, you will always get vectors from the last waypoint irrespective of the setting in the SIDS/STARS page (in my experience at least)

If you want to get clearance to fly a STAR you should have a number of STAR waypoints in your plan ( not just the first STAR waypoint) and the last waypoint again should be about 30nm from the airport. You should use the FP adjustment screen to select the start of your STAR (eg. three waypoints before the last). In this way you will be cleared to fly your STAR at the selected waypoint, and then once you reach the final waypoint you will get vectors to finals.

Some STARS can start over 100 nm from the airport, while others can start much closer. If you use a STAR that starts a long way away then just remember to add at least a final waypoint close to the airport.

Peter

Peter

Profile Quote
sidneyschwartz
Post subject: Re: Still stupid after all these years
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Aha. Thanks, Peter! I think you've filled in the puzzle piece I was missing. I feel much less stupid. :lol:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: