OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC stopped vectoring

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
mllgrennman
Post subject: ATC stopped vectoring
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi...The last couple of flights the ATC stopped giving me vectors to final at about 19000ft and 30 miles out...I was told to continue approach at pilot's discretion... When I first used PFE I was vectored all the way to short final and not left to "make up " my own approach...any ideas? Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: ATC stopped vectoring
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:38 pm

Do you have the STARs option selected on the SIDs/STARs page? That's how you tell PFE you want to conduct an approach on your own rather than have PFE vector you.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Dan77 wrote:
Do you have the STARs option selected on the SIDs/STARs page? That's how you tell PFE you want to conduct an approach on your own rather than have PFE vector you.
A clarification for this, quoted from viewtopic.php?p=7718#p7718
pschlute wrote:
There are two ways to use a STAR in PFE.

1. is to tick the box on the SIDS/STARS page. Using this method, atc will simply tell you that you are cleared to final at your discretion , from the LAST waypoint in your flightplan. You will not get vectors to final. You will be told to contact tower when you are on finals.

2. Do NOT tick the box in the SIDS/STARS page, but select a start of STAR in the waypoints page. You will probably be using a waypoint that is 2;3;or 4 from last. This method will have atc tell you at that point to fly your STAR. You should follow the descent instructions on the STAR you are flying, not expect atc to descend you. Your waypoint altitudes in the PFE flightplan should correspond to the STAR altitudes. When you reach the final waypoint at the correct altitude you should hear atc contact you to vector you to final.

Make sure your final waypoint has the correct altitude in the PFE plan, and that if you have set a minimum FAF for the airport in the SIDS/STARS page, it is best if this is the same.

When you create a flightplan you can add some or all of the STAR waypoints if you wish. The only thing that is needed is that the last waypoint in the plan corresponds to the end of the STAR. Also remember, that the last waypoint should be about 30 nm from the airport

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:09 pm
Site Admin

Sounds like you hit the #1 hotkey when tuned to Approach and received the 'Request Cleared to Final at pilot's discretion". It's an option. :)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:19 am

i had the star button checked from last flight...didnt realize it would carry over...thanks

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: