OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

At Top of Descent or T/D

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Lindbergh72
Post subject: At Top of Descent or T/D
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey

I was flying (in the real world) a United Airlines B777 from SFO to OGG (Maui) and was listing to channel 9 (atc talk, very cool by the way) Our pilot was at FL 360 and 130 miles from the airport, he was told to descent to FL. 240 and continued towards STAR approach at his discretion. Can we have that as well in PFE an most importing is I think that ATC is to late asking us to descent. F.ex when I fly FS with PFE at FL. 370, the ATC waits till I'm 100 miles from airport to descent, I think it's to late... :(

Dave, I love your work with PFE and FDC ;) this is only a request. :?

Regards
Frank

Profile Quote
Baman
Post subject: Re: At Top of Descent or T/D
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello Frank,

You are right, 100 miles is too late for a sensible descent from FL370; however the descent profile is a function of the flight plan not a decision made arbitarily by PFE.

My suggestion (others may have a better one) is to create the flight plan, using whatever is your preferred programme and export into PFE. Look at the chart for the STAR and note the altitude of the IAF, say FL140. Therefore the waypoints prior need to be either far enough away or at a low enough altitude to allow you to cross the IAF at FL140. You can then adjust altitudes as required

The altitudes can be adjusted in PFE using the provided facility before actually using the flight plan.

Don't forget, the FAF and TA can also be set in PFE.

I hope this helps.

Best

Dave
PFE/FDC Beta Tester

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Thank you Dave :)

I'm using FSbuild and sometime FS-commander. What does FAF and IAF stand for?

//Frank

Profile Quote
Andydigital
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Final Approach Fix, and Initial Approach Fix.

Cheers,
Andy.

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 pm

Andydigital wrote:
Final Approach Fix, and Initial Approach Fix.
Thx. Andy.

I will try to move my TOD away from FAF and I can do that in FSbuild or what?

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Baman wrote:
Hello Frank,

You are right, 100 miles is too late for a sensible descent from FL370; however the descent profile is a function of the flight plan not a decision made arbitarily by PFE.

My suggestion (others may have a better one) is to create the flight plan, using whatever is your preferred programme and export into PFE. Look at the chart for the STAR and note the altitude of the IAF, say FL140. Therefore the waypoints prior need to be either far enough away or at a low enough altitude to allow you to cross the IAF at FL140. You can then adjust altitudes as required

The altitudes can be adjusted in PFE using the provided facility before actually using the flight plan.

Don't forget, the FAF and TA can also be set in PFE.

I hope this helps.

Best

Dave
PFE/FDC Beta Tester
I have no idea how I can change TOD :roll: It is really frustrating :| Can you please tell me how to do it... again or show me some screenshots from your PFE how to do it :)

Profile Quote
Baman
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Frank,

Sorry about the abbreviations.

I am currently away from home until Friday but will try and recall the process from memory, could be dodgy!!

The first thing I would say, IMHO, FS Build is a good programme but calculates cruise altitudes that are too high, certainly for my chosen mode of transport the B737. So, I adjust these downwards.

Again in my experience FSBuild often selects the IAF in its build process, but not always. In the cases where it does not it will need to be inserted. For this you will need to read the manual on inserting waypoints ;) I sometimes use FSNav for this adjustment.

As an aside, you will need the IAF to make use of a STAR as the STAR will start from the IAF. If you use an up to date AIRAC cycle with your aircraft, you should ensure you use up to date charts. If you don’t there may well be discrepancies that will cause even more confusion!

Anyway, now you have a route and cruise altitude.

Export the plan into PFE.

Start PFE and click on 'Select New ADV'. Choose the flight plan and load it using the 'Load' button. You may or may not get a modal window open, select the appropriate button given your set up. Then to alter the altitudes select ' Adjust Waypoint Altitudes for Selected ADV Flight File'.

You will then be presented with a list of waypoints and various altitudes.

If the cruise altitude does not match your expectation then your chosen altitude should be inserted. Generally I leave the climb altitudes as provided by PFE, other users may do differently.

The IAF should be listed (after all you did make a point of adding it if it wasn't provided by FSBuild). If the waypoint is listed more than once, ensure the last listed occurrence is at the altitude listed on the chart. Previous occurrences need to be at higher altitudes, but lower or equal to previous waypoints.

A basic rule of thumb, for the B737 is to be at FL300 @ 100 miles from threshold.

You asked about TOD. I have not mentioned it as I do not really see it as relevant for this topic. A flight plan is a flight PLAN, ATC can and will override the plan if they see fit. It is up to you to decide if you can comply or not with their instruction. Naturally, if a plan simply is not working you can re-jig it as appropriate.

I hope this helps. There is good guidance in the PFE manual (probably more coherent than my explanation). It is well worth spending some time reading the manual, especially with regard to flight plans and altitudes. ;)

Best

Dave
FDC/PFE Beta Tester

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Thank you very much Dave ;) I will try it out

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:22 am

Hey Dave, I almost forgot to tell you, it works fine now. I have chance my flight plan correctly in PFE ;) Now my FS passengers will have a nice and pleasant descent :D

Thanks btw 8-)

//Frank

Profile Quote
Baman
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Frank,

That is good news indeed.

Dave

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]