OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF2000/PFE + GameCommander2 Findings:

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
rhodges
Post subject: PF2000/PFE + GameCommander2 Findings:
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 am

First of all: ProFlight2000 / PFE works just great by itself on either a primary or secondary computer through WideFS6 for FS9, or WideFS7 for FSX. If you don't require voice recognition, to my knowledge there is no issue and I highly recommend this offering. If you desire voice recognition, the combination of ProFlight2000/PFE and GameCommander2 has worked great for me ever since it was made available (On my previous 32 bit system). With an upgrade to 64 bit, I have had to jump through a few hoops, but more than worth it to me personally.

My goal was to have PF2000/PFE and GameCommander2 operate on my secondary computer for voice recognition. I found that it would not work this way. Initially, the only way I could get it to work was with both programs installed on my primary computer, and voice commands were a little bit iffy. Until just now, I found that if I had PF2000/PFE on my secondary computer, and GC2 on the primary that GC2 would never acknowledge a command although the GC2 display did say "Commands On". At last, I have a compromise. PF2000/PFE is on the secondary, with GC2 on the primary. Took a lot of button pushing to get here, but the following are my findings:

Primary Computer:
i7-975 CPU
P6T Deluxe V2 MB
Onboard Sound
Windows XP Pro 64 bit

Secondary Computer:
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo CPU
PSN-SLI MB
Creative Soundblaster Audigy2-ZS Sound
Windows XP Pro 32 Bit

On the SoundMax Control Panel under "Record: SoundMaX HD Audio", the Microphone must be activated (Green Light on). My volume setting for this item is @ 31% at the present time. By no means is this necessarily the optimum setting, but I am scared to death to touch it. Going below a certain level produces a yellow asterisk by the side of the volume scale, whatever that means.

The Microphone setting under the Edit button for GameCommander2 should be set as low as possible which will detect sound. On my system I am not sure this exists as the "listening" is soooo sensitive. "0" is the only place I see the detection light dimmed.

A great deal of fiddling between these two settings was necessary for me to ever get command acknowledgement from GC2.

In addition rather than the recommended, "Voice Input" selection, "Voice Training" worked much better for me. Takes a lot of repeating, but seems to respond reasonably well now.

I am over my head on this, but my speculation is that the Onboard sound is so sensitive that there is interference. Trough my 5.1 speakers, it will just about blow you away with anything but minimum volume settings which is something new for me. I suspect the microphone provisions are similar and it is detecting more than my speech

If your system is less sensitive and you have the same or similar setting provisions, this should work for you, maybe much better than mine. At least it should be a starting place for your setup and tweaking. A better microphone with some kind of noise canceling if one is available might also enhance the effort.

Hope this is of some value to someone, and might give you a starting place at least.

All this is pretty well academic if you operate PFE in the CP: Mode 2 where the only command you may give is to press "0" on the keyboard, or say, "Checking In". The Copilot takes care of the rest of the communication unless there is a rare occasion when ATC guides you all over the place for your approach to landing which can be cut short by saying "Request Landing Clearance" or pressing "1". (Never know if this was due to poor flightplanning on my part, or a glitch in PFE, probably a little of both, but it is rare).

Happy flying:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: PF2000/PFE + GameCommander2 Findings:
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:49 am
Site Admin

A good, informative post. Many thanks

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: