OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Setup32 has stopped working.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
rhodges
Post subject: Setup32 has stopped working.
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:15 am

I just reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit onto my computer and am in the process of now reinstalling all of my programs.

I downloaded new PFE_1, PFE_2, and Read_First_PFE_Std.Edition _Instruction...
files from FlightOne.

PFE_1 installs just fine, however when I try to install PF2000 with my original CD, she searches for files for a few moments, then gives me a "Setup32 has stopped working" error message and stops the installation.

I have tried disabling my anti-virus and firewall (ESET Smart Security/NOD32). I have also tried unchecking all items in my msconfig. services and startup options along with other suggestions from a google search of "Setup32".

I had considered biting the bullet and just purchasing the deluxe version of PFE, but feared that I might get the same results and have wasted my money. PFE/PF2000 has worked fine in the past and I love it on the same system, along with the prior installation of the same operating system. I am not aware of anything different from the previous working installation with the exception probably of a few recent Win7 automatic updates.

Any suggestions and help sure would be appreciated.

Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
pasterke
Post subject: Re: Setup32 has stopped working.
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:44 pm

How to rectify a suspected bad installation :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22

Regards,

patrick

[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:23 pm

All Anti Virus & Firewall will have to be disabled completely otherwise you will have issues.

Type msconfig in start/search and turn off Nod32 in all sections and restart your pc as per instructions...

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the replies folks:

Unfortunately, I fear we are on different pages.

Patrick:
My assumption is that you are talking about an existing, but bad installation of the deluxe version of PFE. My understanding is that the deluxe version of PFE includes PF2000 as an integral part of the installation.

I am trying to install the standard version implementing my old PF2000 CD for AETI ProFlight 2000. I have done this flawlessly a number of times over the years, but this time I cannot get that far.

1. Step 1 as per Dave March's instructions is to download the PFE_1.exe, PFE_2.exe, and the Read_First_PFE_Std_Edition_Installation ....files from Oncourse Software.

2. Then to execute and install PFE_1.exe

3. Then to install PF2000 from my old PF2000 CD. This time, the installation starts, then begins searching for files, then gives me the "Setup32" error I described in my opening post to this thread. I can go no farther with a clean step by step installation.

Just for the heck of it, I have also tried just skipping the PF2000 installation and going ahead and executing and installing PFE_2.exe to see what happened. That goes fine and I can originate a flightplan with no problem in PFE. However as would be expected, there is no way to compile it in PF2000 as it was not installed.

I have a backup of all my files (before my reinstallation of Win7). Therefore, I have also tried just copying all of the PFE/PF2000 folders and files into my new installation as well, but that did not work either.

As your link suggested, I double clicked on the pfe_v26_system.exe provision in my backup to see what would happen. I get an initializing wise instillation window for a moment and then nothing

Dave:
As I mentioned in my original post here, both my firewall and antivirus provisions are disabled.

I also mentioned that I also unchecked all of the services and start items Windows will let me uncheck in MSCONFIG, not just security items. Still no luck.

Thanks again for the input
Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm
Site Admin

Do you think you may have a problem with the PF2000 CD? If you have another CD drive it may be worth trying that.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 am

"I have tried disabling my anti-virus and firewall (ESET Smart Security/NOD32). I have also tried unchecking all items in my msconfig. services and startup options along with other suggestions from a google search of "Setup32".

Sorry...when you said "Tried" i took it you was unsuccessful...

As per Dave M's post of using another drive,if you don't have another drive another workround is to copy all the files from the CD to a folder onto an external drive,making sure all files and folders are shown..."not hidden".

If that works,then run setup again.

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, I think Murphy and his law have me by the ears (or somewhere else even more undesirable.)

I have learned the hard way that unchecking everything in msconfig was a big mistake. I have found no way to enable all services again. Some enabled, but a number of services remained unchecked when I chose "enable all." Applicable services in msconfig read "stopped". Services in services.msc read "disabled". I am unable to change this selection by accessing either. If anyone knows a solution to this, I sure would appreciate your help.

I fear I am just wasting time and may as well bite the bullet, start over, and do a clean install of Win7. I am sure loosing ground at the present time. Documentation and my printer still work, so I am going to do some other work now and will try to tackle this again Monday. Maybe a light will go on between now and then.

Dave L: I tried your suggestion of copying my PF2000 to a drive but got the same Setup32 error when I tried to setup PF2000.

Thanks for the suggestions:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:10 am

Bit the bullet, formatted, and reinstalled Win7.

My Setup32 error is gone. PFE/PF2000 installed with no problem (Have not tried a flight yet)

My current issue is that I am missing any way to reinstall GameCommander 2 for voice recognition. I will pursue this issue in another post later if I do not discover a solution. I don't know if support and access relative to this contribution is no longer available or not.

Happy flying:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Well, I just could not leave well enough alone!

Reference (On this forum):
Thread: Expansion Pack Problems, rhodges, Posted Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 6:23 pm
Reply posted by rhodges Mon. Dec.17, 2012 8:36 PM
Reply posted by Dave Leesley, Wed. Dec. 22, 2012 6:21 PM

After all the misery described in this thread and finally reformatting and reinstalling everything over the last 17 days I had just about everything working swimmingly, including PFE/FS2000. FS9 is complete and I still have FSX to go. An almost month long ordeal getting everything back on and working well.

1. Decided to add the voice packs back as starting up PFE kept telling me I didn't still have them.
2. Got exactly the same scenario described in the referenced thread/replies above.
3. Remembering the success back then thanks to Dave's kind help, tried to repeat that method.
4. Uninstalled PFE, the Voice Packs, and PF2000 which brought success as referenced above.
5. Began another reinstallation of PFE/PF2000 as per Dave's instruction which worked in Dec. 2012

I now have my original problem back again. When I try to install PF2000 from my CD, during the search for files the installation fails with the message "Setup32 has stopped working." Apparently, in the process of uninstalling those three programs, something was removed that causes this problem.

A word of caution to anyone reading this: When uninstalling a program, if it tells you that something is shared with others and it gives you a choice of removing it or skipping it, my recommendation is to skip it. I have never been bit by this before if that was what happened, but I never will say go ahead and remove it in the future.

I tried restoring my computer to an earlier time with the Windows provisions. It did restore PfE which works (as it did much earlier in this thread). However, there is no PF2000 to compile the Pilot's flight plan.

I have had PF2000 since it first came out and loved it (and still recommend it). I was thrilled when PFE resurrected it and have used it for these many years. I guess all good things must come to an end, but I am not going to reformat again and start over for another several weeks installation work.

If I was sure that the deluxe version would not have this same problem, or if it did I could get my money back I would try that. Unfortunately, I realize this is a catch 22 situation where Oncourse is not involved with the sale or return of PFE and that would have to be through SimMarket. I don't know what the alternative might be, but I think I will try something else, hopefully a program with a trial period, and be a bit more user friendly relative to installation.

Thanks for the good times Oncourse. It has been a swell ride.
RTH

Edit: OPPS! I realize that I referenced the wrong distributor for PFE. Sorry!

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:38 am

Well, I am thrilled to say that I think the worst is over. So far, PFE/PF2000 appears to be back working normally again. Hopefully the following will be of some help to someone else out there if they loose PFE or it stops working for some reason.

First of all, one must have a backup of a working PFE installation. Thankfully, I use SyncBack periodically for a total backup of everything on my computer. In fact, I do this twice, once on an internal Hard Drive as well as a second copy on an external HD.

First attempt that worked:
1. Deleted PFE at C:\PFE.

2. Installed PFE_1.exe from my Oncourse Software folder which will originate a new PFE folder. I again chose C:\PFE as my location. The Oncourse Software folder containing PFE_1.exe and PFE_2.exe were earlier Installed by A FllightOne Wrapper.

3. Copied my PF2000 folder from my backup into the PFE\fs2000 folder.
4. Installed PFE_2.exe
5. When PF2000 was started, it asked for all of the voices.
6. Installed all of the voices from my AETI PF2000 CD (Normal installation)

Everything worked. However this was my old Version 1.0.0 of PF Emulator even though PFE_1.exe and PFE_2.exe are new downloads. (Tells you how old it is huh). I was unable to update to the Accumulative version. I was greatly tempted to stop here, but continued as follows:

Second attempt that got everything going again:
1. Renamed C:\PFE to C:\PFE Hold
2. Copied the entire PFE folder from my backup to my C drive.

Now I have a working Version 2.14.0 of PFE again (Including the Voice Packs).

Please note that much earlier in this scenario I had already tried copying my entire backup of PFE from scratch. PFE would not work. Apparently, some part of the 6 steps in my first attempt above is required for that to work. Best guess is the execution of PFE_1.exe (and/or possibly PFE_2.exe) makes required registry entries for authorization purposes to show that this is not an illegal copy. That authorization then holds good when my backup was coped.

I now have two working installations of PFE, version 1.0.0 and version 2.14.0. I realize I could probably delete the old version, but have become so paranoid that I think I will leave both installed. I can't tell that it hurts anything.

Dave, I don't know if this deserves a sticky or not, but it possibly might help someone else down the road.

Happy Flying:
RTH

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: