OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Cannot connect PFE to FS with WideFS.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
rhodges
Post subject: Cannot connect PFE to FS with WideFS.
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 pm

just upgraded to a new i7-975 system with WinXPPro 64bit as my operating system. I discovered that a couple of pieces of hardware (Scanner and Flash Card Reader) as well as some of my old software programs would not work on the 64 bit system.

So, I added a secondary computer with WindowsXP 32 bit as my operating system. I am also implementing this computer for FS programs thanks to WideFS. Thankfully, I see in multiple documentation that ProFlight2000 / PFE is compatible with this format.

I have installed Flight Simulator Commander and it works fine on the client computer so I am pretty sure everything is in order relative to my setup of WideFS .

I have now installed ProFlight2000 / PFE on the client computer. I am able to load flightplans with no problem, but when I click "Connect to FS", I get an error window which states: "This version of PFE supports full taxi guidance but you need to rebuild the PFE database first to activate this new feature for use in FS9!" Behind this window with the red X is My Oncourse Software ProFlight 2000 Emulator display which now shows "Disconnect from FS". This leads me to believe that my flightplan was loaded and activated, but when I click "OK" on the error window. PFE closes and it is disconnected.

Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I "rebuild the PFE database" and get PFE on line?

Respectfully:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Post subject: Re: Cannot connect PFE to FS with WideFS.
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks to another post and reply on this forum, I am working on a solution. I have executed "MakeRwys.exe" and gone through the steps to the last selection (rebuilding data base).

I now have a window which says: "Select RUNWAYS CSV from FS9 or FSX".

Unfortunately, I selected the wrong harddrive for my FS9 location and have a hang up now. I will start over and try to rectify my mistake and let you know how I made out.

To be continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 am

Progress:

I have now updated my database (Searched other posts under "database", NOT "WideFS" for the proper method.)

I can connect to FS with no problem now.

My current problem is that I am getting no response to my communications.

Possible conflict, but I doubt it. Instruction somewhere in the documentation warns to be sure one uses the "client" keyboard in order to make comminications by that method. I am useing "Synergy" to be able to use a common mouse and keyboard for both of my computers. The only thing so far that has not worked is I have found no way to bring up the "Windows Task Manager" for the secondary computer. When I press "Ctrl + Alt + Del" it always brings up the manager for the primary. I thought this might be an indication that this was the problem for key communication in PFE. However, I patched in a dedicated keyboard into my secondary client computer and got no response either, so I really doubt that this is the problem.

In addition to the above, ever since PFE was offered (Thank goodness), I have used GameCommander2 for voice comminication. It responds fine to either keyboard, or with none, but I still get no response from Proflight2000 /PFE.

If someone wants to give me a shortcut and knows what my problem is, it would be appreciated, however, I have already noticed other posts regarding no response, so I will search there.

If worse comes to worse, I have no problem with installing these programs on my primary computer, but if I can get them to work on the client, I surely will.

To be continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:23 am

Found new keyboard instructions under frequently asked questions.

While options may be set up from the client selected keyboard (either common or dedicated), the instructions state that communications are made from the primary. Works like a charm with either keyboard setup.

I suspect that GameCommander2 needs to be likewise setup on the primary computer, NOT the client. I will try that next to see if the voice comm. problem is fixed.

To be continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:03 am

Installed GameCommander2 on the primary computer.

Now, I cannot get this program to recognize any of my voice commands. My only response is the text: "NOT RECOGNIZED", with the exception that occasionaly I have seen a "NO', which may be just the beginning of "NOT".

Puzzling as on the client computer, all my communications are recognized (the text shows up and I get the correct beep).

Time to go cook a few country ribs and go to bed. Anyone can chime in at any time with a suggestion or two, and it sure would be appreciated.

To be continued:
RTH

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:23 am
Site Admin

Hi RTH,

Well you certainly seem to be working things out just fine ;-)

As for GC I can't help I'm afraid as I do not have nor have ever used it... my wife thinks I'm mad enough as it is without witnessing me 'talking' to the PC

Obviously GC would have to be running on the primary PC as it is from there it will send the keystrokes to FS which in turn are picked up by PFE

I know there are quite a few GC users amongst us so hopefully one will be along shortly to help out

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
rhodges
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:20 pm

PF2000/PFE works just fine with Key commands when installed on either computer, but I have not found a way to get voice recognition from GameCommander2 at all if PF2000/PFE is installed and used on the Client Computer. My conclusion is that this format is not compatible, or I am doing something wrong and I have tried about every combination I can think of. GameCommander2 recognizes the voice commands, but there is never a response from PFE. If anyone has gotten this setup to work, I sure would like to hear how.

I installed both on my primary computer and everything works flawlessly now. It would have been nice to make use of WideFS for these programs, but this is no biggie as both can be minimized from the displays, and I have never been able to detect any drain on resources. I discovered that it does require a bit more voice training than it did on my previous system.

Good to hear from you again Dave. I know what you mean by getting the funny looks when talking to a computer. However, sometimes when troubleshooting I find myself doing that anyway when it doesn't have anything to do with ATC (with a few naughty words). In FS it sure does add a bit of reality to me personally and I wouldn't be without it. A post long ago included a story of a wife that walked by her husband and declared "Mayday, Mayday!" Immediately the poor guy was directed to the nearest airport for the conclusion of his flight.

Happy flying:
RTH

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: